Hurricanes wunderkind Ruben Love will finally link up with TJ Perenara
Wellington Lions coach Leo Crowley has named five debutants in his 23-man squad for this Saturday’s opening round clash with Northland.
The team will contain two current All Blacks, with Asafo Aumua released from international duty to start at hooker and TJ Perenara granted a return to Wellington having missed the 2021 Super Rugby season whilst playing in Japan.
In the engine room, Hurricanes regular James Blackwell starts alongside ex-Racing 92 and All Black, Dominic Bird.
In the backline, starting halfback Perenara will certainly be excited by the opportunity to link up with the mercurial prospect that is the 20-year-old Ruben Love, who is set to start at No 10. Perenara of course is no stranger to star quality outside him at first-five, he and Beauden Barrett forming one of the most dangerous nine-ten pairings in recent Super Rugby history.
Love, who was recently named in the New Zealand U20s side for 2021, made a total of seven appearances for the Hurricanes this year and showcased glimpses of his exciting running and counter-attacking ability. Featuring alongside the 69-test cap Perenara, is certainly not a bad prospect for the youngster’s continuing development.
In the centres, Peter Umaga-Jensen pairs up with Vince Aso, with Aso heading to Japan at the end of the season. Ex All Black Julian Savea starts on the wing, with Wes Goosen and Pepesana Patafilo joining him in the back three.
The team features 12 players who have experienced Super Rugby in 2021 and Crowley will hope that the side can get off to a good start in this year’s Bunnings NPC.
— RugbyPass (@RugbyPass) August 4, 2021
The Wellington Lions matchday 23:
- Xavier Numia (Oriental Rongotai)
- Asafo Aumua (Avalon)
- Alex Fidow (Ories)
- James Blackwell (Petone)
- Dominic Bird* (Upper Hutt Rams)
- Taine Plumtree (Old Boys University)
- Du’Plessis Kirifi © (Northern United)
- Keelan Whitman* (Marist St Pats)
- TJ Perenara (Northern United)
- Ruben Love (Wainuiomata)
- Pepesana Patafilo (Tawa)
- Peter Umaga-Jensen (Wainuiomata)
- Vince Aso (Petone)
- Julian Savea (Oriental Rongotai)
- Wes Goosen (Old Boys University)
- Bruce Kauika-Petersen (Northern United)
- Vince Sakaria (Marist St Pats)
- PJ Sheck* (Tawa)
- Caleb Delaney (Old Boys University)
- Sam Smith (Wainuiomata)
- Richard Judd* (Paremata-Plimmerton)
- Brandyn Laursen* (Hutt Old Boys Marist)
- Tomasi Alosio (Hutt Old Boys Marist)
(*) denotes debutant
Wellington play Northland at Sky Stadium, Wellington on Saturday 7th August, kick-off at 2:05pm.
Join free and tell us what you really think!Join Free