Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
Global Global
NZ NZ

Dan Carter weighs in on who should be Scott Robertson's All Black 10

By Ned Lester
Damian McKenzie and Beauden Barrett line up in the All Blacks attack. Photo by Craig Mercer/MB Media/Getty Images

Beauden Barrett’s decision to return to New Zealand on a long-term deal after a year in Japan’s League One threw a spanner in the All Blacks selection works, and while it’s a great selection issue for coach Scott Robertson to have, the call will have to be made over which world-class first five-eighth misses out on the iconic No. 10 jersey.

The debate is largely between Barrett and Chiefs maestro Damian McKenzie, both of whom were key cogs for the All Blacks’ 2023 Rugby World Cup campaign, although neither started at first five-eighth due to the form – and availability – of Richie Mo’unga.

Mo’unga’s absence due to his long-term deal with Toshiba Brave Lupus in Japan making him ineligible for All Blacks selection is something that undoubtedly hurts Kiwi fans, and while Carter has the highest of praise for Mo’unga, he isn’t sure a change in eligibility rules is the right call for New Zealand Rugby.

Video Spacer

Sam Whitelock on “almost annoying” Razor Robertson

The former Crusaders and New Zealand lock speaks about his relationship with coach ‘Razor’ Scott Robertson. Watch the full interview on RugbyPass TV now.

Watch now

Video Spacer

Sam Whitelock on “almost annoying” Razor Robertson

Watch now

“I don’t think it’s just something you change immediately when, when you feel like there’s a player that you’d love to have,” Carter told Newshub when promoting his Beat Dan Carter initiative with Unicef.

“In my opinion, [Richie Mo’unga] is probably the best No. 10 in the world. As sad as it was to see him leave, he left for his reasons and to spend more time with his family.

“I’m sure he’s enjoying his time in Japan and I’m sure there’s a part of Razor that wouldn’t mind having him back as well.

“The priority is making sure that New Zealand rugby is as strong as it possibly can be and if those eligibility rules change then who knows, we might see more players departing.”

With Barrett and McKenzie leading a pack of aspiring playmakers in New Zealand, Robertson won’t be left desperate for a reunion with his former Crusaders colleague.

Stephen Perofeta and Brett Cameron would appear to be the next best options as specialist 10s, both 27 years of age with an All Blacks debut under their belt.

Barrett’s 123 caps in black sees the 32-year-old offer an experienced head to lead Robertson’s attack, while McKenzie, at 29, has matured into a tactical threat while maintaining the mercurial running game that saw him earn an All Blacks debut in 2016 at fullback.

There’s plenty to debate on behalf of both players and while Carter may be the best qualified to split those hairs, the All Black great stopped short of making a definitive selection.

“You’ve obviously got Beaudy coming back, a proven playmaker and everyone knows what he’s capable of, so it’s great to have him recommitted for a long period.

“And it’s hard to go past Damian McKenzie and the impact that he has every time he plays for the Chiefs. It’s awesome to see him in fine form.

“It’s definitely a battle for those two boys.”

Related

The rugby icon’s latest charitable endeavour sees Carter challenge the rugby community to beat him in a one-hour shoot-out, with the 42-year-old having achieved a benchmark of 273 successful attempts off the tee.

Proceeds will go to providing clean water for kids in the Pacific. The challenge comes two years after his last fundraising effort, a 24-hour kickathon, for the same cause.

“I was overwhelmed with the support that I got for the kickathon, two years ago.

“We’ve been working hard behind the scenes to try and think of another fundraising campaign. I’m not sure if in my old age that I can kick 24 hours again.

“I’ve set the challenge and empower people and teams to try and beat me and, and obviously pick up and fundraise along the way.”

Join free

LIVE

{{item.title}}

Trending on RugbyPass

Comments

11 Comments
C
CuzzyG 72 days ago

If Havili can play anywhere in the back line, why not first 5. #10.

C
Cam 74 days ago

More bloody click bait. Dan Carter has said absolutely nothing. As he should do.
Poor journalism again from a site that should know better

f
fred 74 days ago

Dan has always been as controversial as tea with milk so we were never going to get any definitive answer. So DMac for the win.

m
mike 75 days ago

Personally i’d have BB off the bench and DMac as 10.
BB seems to have more ‘average’ games and less ability to mix it up on the fly than DMac,

R
Red and White Dynamight 75 days ago

DMac. BB crabs too much at 10.

B
Bull Shark 75 days ago

Dan Carter weighs in on who should be Scott Robertson's All Black 10

Dan:

“It’s a toss up between Beudy and Dmac, although Mounga would be nice - but he can’t… so…”

The Rugby Public:

“Thanks Dan. For nuthin!”

Load More Comments

Join free and tell us what you really think!

Latest Features

Comments on RugbyPass

s
sean 35 minutes ago
The bite don't match the bark

Yeah, he has a few good points… I disagree that our 7s haven't done anything, we won Bronze in 2016, and we were virtually unplayable to the backend of the “teens” winning the series. 7s is far more competitive globally than Union, so it's fair to say we haven't dominated, but we are almost always contenders. But I do agree that our national side doesn't perform nearly as well as it should between World Cups, and I do agree that our supporters can be too passionate and the opitimity of what Rugby stands against. I have said so many times. And I also believe some context needs to be taken into account with Saturday's win for Ireland. They're a really good team! Settled coaching staff, and bar a few legends retiring, they've had a full season and plenty of time together. We have some youngsters being groomed for the future, have played only 3 games now under a new coaching team with new philosophies and game plans. I'm excited by what the future of this team holds, as much as I am disappointed by the result. But unlike this article suggests, I am never going to take away from what Ireland has achieved, is achieving, and where they're heading. As a Rugby fan, I love the tight games, like the last two weekends. As a Bok Super Fan, I agree we don't perform as well as we should. And as an aside, you come play a game at 7am on our fields, bud. -2°c and frost on the field that is as hard as concrete…. Then we’ll see just how tough you are. Well done Ireland! They played well, and gave our boys a lot to think about. That's what you want from the top two teams in the world. Rugby won. The fans of this greatbsport won. A'n bullshit like this article is why Rugby is losing its identity. I don't like soccer. This article perpetuates the soccer influences the game of Rugby is starting to see. It's why Wayne Barnes retired, feared for his family, and he isn't the only ref to say so. I have called out many Bok fans for being an embarrassment to the game, and I will continue to do so. Rugbypass.com, this article is close to the same bullshit. You should be better.

33 Go to comments
M
Michael 1 hours ago
All Blacks vs England takeaways: Richie Who? Time for Cortez

Cant deny Christie is a good defender, box kicks well at times, BUT he’s a second too slow passing from the ground. Roigard, Ratima and Hotham will be our 2027 halfbacks I believe DMAC has played reasonably well in both games, so deserves to keep his place - his two breaks at Eden Park should have resulted in tries. Reece was really to blame for the Taylor failure - he stayed too wide, if he had come in a couple of meters the pass from Taylor would have worked. The Perofeta failure was extraordinary, he is normally such a good distributor, failure to draw in Steward was remarkable, failure to look inside was a shocker. Cory Flynn as lineout coach… umm something a miss here. Not sure who is calling the lineouts, but clearly we miss Whitelock’s leadership. Having a disfunctional line out really underminded the AB attack. But let’s remind ourselves Itoje is a master, and their tactics of going for the arms of the jumper on landing and pulling over was brilliant causing Paddy and Scooter to both fumble the balls. I am a Blues supporter so I like Talea, but if you play him on the wrong wing look out. While he’s not the fastest wing, he’s elusive and very industrious always looking for work. However, he’s not the tallest player, and everyone knows his weakness (a) being turned in defence - he’s slow to turn and react and (b) never jumps for high balls is normally out jumped. Personally, I find Recce and Talea too alike - Razor needs to couple them with another complementary partner Clark and Narawa respectively. However, for me the real troubling challenge is our mid-field. I am sorry Barrett & Ioane are a poor combo - either Barrett & Proctor or ALB & Ioane - but having two mid-fielders who are poor distributors is nuts. Jordie had a forgettable game in truth he missed so many tackles, which to be fair is unlike him. But sadly both Barrett and Ioane chose to bash first and rarely distribute cleanly.

22 Go to comments