Fehi Fineanganofo of the Hurricanes is tackled during the round 14 Super Rugby match between Blues and Hurricanes at Eden Park, on May 16, 2026, in Auckland, New Zealand. (Photo by Phil Walter/Getty Images)
The 23-year-old has just equalled all-time season record for tries in Super Rugby for the table-leading Hurricanes, leading to calls to have Fineanganofo retained.
The former All Blacks Sevens rep remains eligible for the All Blacks in 2026, theoretically he could play this year while still in New Zealand but once he begins his two-year deal at the Newcastle Red Bulls he is no longer eligible.
RWC 2027 Ticket Application explainer | RP
Ticket applications for Rugby World Cup 2027 open from May 19th! Create your account at tickets.rugbyworldcup.com
However, The Breakdown‘s panel of ex-All Blacks were unanimous in there decision that by missing the World Cup next year means he is un-selectable.
“The fact he’s not going to be around for World Cup, I think it’s a waste of spot,” Stephen Donald told The Breakdown panel.
“Unfortunately, you can’t pick him.”
Ex-All Black wing Jeff Wilson was equally firm on the position with Dave Rennie’s incoming coaching staff on a short runway to implement their new game plans.
The All Blacks will lose at least one of last year’s starting wings, Sevu Reece, to an overseas deal next year and need to find the best finishers as quickly as possible.
“I’m exactly the same,” Wilson said.
“We have limited number of opportunities to give players to prepare for a Rugby World Cup and Fehi’s had one heck of a season on the back of an outstanding Hurricanes team, but he’s made his decision to go and play overseas.
“He’s not going to be available for selection next year, and that’s pivotal for me. There isn’t time to waste.”
Mils Muliaina said on form Fineanganofo would’ve been an All Black, but also couldn’t see the point in handing him game time with the World Cup next year.
“I agree. I mean, man, he’s having a a season and a half, isn’t he? And he would have been [selected] had he not sort of gone,” he said.
“He [Rennie] can’t afford to give up a spot like that when they’re trying to sort of implement things, It’s going to be a big tour, three first games up front and then they’re going to South Africa.
“You’ve got to try and find your your best wingers and unfortunately you know, he just can’t give up that spot.”
'Mixed bag': Mike Blair delivers honest All Blacks attack assessment
3
2
'That’s what the All Blacks don’t have': Ex-Bok coach highlights Dave Rennie's issue
45
3
Predicted All Blacks' 23 to face the Springboks in the first Test
32
4
Noah Hotham called into All Blacks camp as prop departs
6
5
Talks to open over Sam Prendergast's future at Leinster
10
6
Springbok hooker Malcolm Marx courted for dramatic SA club return
1
7
Dave Rennie opens up on All Blacks’ progress ahead of first SA Test
19
8
All Blacks player ratings vs Bulls | Rugby's Greatest Rivalry 2026
149
Comments
17 Comments
LOGIN
Log in to comment
B
BM 89 days ago
Now we have ex players thinking they should have The Power
B
B 90 days ago
34 AB’s selections had already been prior to last Friday and Fehi obviously wasn't one of them… but I'm sure that Caleb Tangitau was…
J
JW 89 days ago
What makes you say he wasn’t one?
J
JW 90 days ago
Not often to I disagree with Beaver but he’s obviously found the Breakdown teams stupidity contagious.
They are forgetting their is a Lions series after the WC.
c
cnw 89 days ago
Top observation JW.
C
CN 90 days ago
I disagree. Why not pick the best players available each year based on form, that might entice some players to consider not leaving NZ. It would also put on notice players that know they’ll get picked, as “in-formers” heading OS aren’t a threat…Each game should be about winning, not only just building for a 4 year cycle. NZRU wants to be game changers, then change the old ways of thinking….
J
JW 90 days ago
The whole idea would be that he falls in love with the All Blacks and does a LF and returns. That’s the only way in which it would encourage making themselves eligible for the All Blacks. It would make more players consider leaving NZ though.
c
cnw 90 days ago
I get the logic. But the tour of SA is the first in 30 years. The WC is not the only thing that defines the ABs. One other thing is definitely beating the Boks and losing to them 5 of the last 6 is killing the brand. Play the best available to us now. In reality we have only two other 11s in the same class, LF and Clarke. And they are experienced enough to step up next year to the WC anyway.
J
JW 90 days ago
Exactly, this is as big if not bigger than the World Cup and Lions tours, because SA are number one.
It would be different if the ABs were in SA’s position.
S
SB 90 days ago
2027 is in sight.
s
smartalec 90 days ago
They are probably right, but in that case Reece should also not be picked as he will not be available for the WC either.
O
Over the sideline 90 days ago
I believe the same guys agreed on that too.
I
Icefarrow 90 days ago
No one ever was going to pick Reece, lol. He’s past it.