Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
World World



Welsh rugby enveloped in its latest existential crisis

As Wayne Pivac teeters on the edge of finding new gainful employment after a series of disappointing results, the wider-lens story tells of dysfunction and frustration

RugbyPass+ Home

Clinical Leinster pick Munster apart in Limerick

James Lowe of Leinster celebrates after scoring his side's fourth try with teammate Garry Ringrose during the United Rugby Championship match between Munster and Leinster at Thomond Park (Photo By Harry Murphy/Sportsfile via Getty Images)

Leinster outscored Munster by four tries to one to earn a 34-19 bonus-point win at Thomond Park which extends their lead at the top of the United Rugby Championship to 10 points.


A newly-married James Lowe scored twice after the interval and Jimmy O’Brien also crossed in the second half to add to stand-in captain Garry Ringrose’s 16th-minute effort.

Four Joey Carbery penalties meant Munster were only 14-12 behind at half-time, but they could only muster a Damian de Allende try after the break.

Video Spacer

Dragons Director of Rugby Dean Ryan opens about the enormity of the problem with the Welsh game
Video Spacer
Dragons Director of Rugby Dean Ryan opens about the enormity of the problem with the Welsh game

The home side lost powerful carrier Gavin Coombes to injury during the first half, and Leinster’s strong bench helped them to see out the result.

Leo Cullen’s men built a number of early phases before fly-half Byrne kicked them ahead. Carbery, who was tackled high by Jack Conan, landed a levelling 13th-minute penalty.

A smart Leinster move off a lineout had O’Brien and Lowe stretching their legs. The pack pounded away before Byrne swung a pass wide for Ringrose to go over unopposed in the corner.

With the conversion missed, Carbery punished a second high tackle to close the gap to 8-6, before then cancelling out a Byrne effort.


Carbery duly nudged Munster in front with a 36th-minute place-kick, only for Leinster to force a late turnover and set up Byrne to boot them back in front.

Notably, with Caelan Doris becoming more prominent, Leinster went up a gear on the restart as Byrne and Robbie Henshaw sent Lowe reaching over for an unconverted 47th-minute try.

Fineen Wycherley’s late hit on Josh van der Flier soon allowed Byrne to widen the margin to 22-12.


The lead was extended further after some very good hands in midfield – particularly from Henshaw – freed up space for the lively O’Brien to get past Conor Murray and finish smartly. Byrne added the conversion.


Craig Casey’s introduction sparked Munster as they looked for a response, the scrum-half going close from a quick tap before fellow replacement Ben Healy released De Allende for the line. The home crowd erupted and Carbery converted.

It was game on again with Healy at fly-half and Carbery moved to full-back, but Leinster coolly wrapped up the result when Byrne’s scooped pass sent Lowe over in the corner with seven minutes remaining.


Join free and tell us what you really think!

Join Free
TRENDING World Rugby issue findings from Nic White incident probe World Rugby issue findings on Nic White HIA probe