France tighthead Mohamed Haouas is set to appear before a criminal court for questioning just eight days before the start of Les Bleus 2021 Six Nations campaign. A Montpellier public prosecutor’s department said Haouas will be questioned regarding an alleged robbery of a tobacconist six years ago.
The 26-year-old previously spent four days in custody for his suspected involvement in the 2014 incident.
According to reports in France, Haouas’ hearing has been set for January 29, with France due to kick-off their 2021 Six Nations campaign against Italy in Rome on February 6.
The Montpellier prop, who made his international Test debut against England this year, has faced a number of disciplinary issues this season.
In March he was handed a three-week ban for punching Jamie Ritchie during France’s 28-17 Six Nations defeat to Scotland.
Haouas then missed the opening game of the Top 14 season and lost his financial bonus after arriving late to training and having an altercation with a club sponsor.
Despite these controversies, he is expected to be involved when France host Ireland in their final game of the 2020 Six Nations in Paris on Saturday.
Last week, France team manager Raphael Ibanez spoke about Haouas’ disciplinary issues.
“Mohamed’s journey has been tortuous at times. I believe he can still give a lot to the team,” Ibanez said.
“He’s a very endearing player who deserves special attention with what’s at stake for him and us. We’re very careful when it comes to managing him.”
Sign up to our mailing list for a weekly digest from the wide world of rugby.Sign Up Now