Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
Global Global
New Zealand New Zealand
France France

Dean Ryan grabs first big PRO14 scalp

Dean Ryan has come under fire (Photo by Matthew Lewis/Getty Images)

The Dragons enjoyed a first Rodney Parade win of the calendar year in the Guinness PRO14 after upsetting Glasgow 18-5 in rain-soaked Newport. Dean Ryan’s side headed into half-time with just a 6-0 lead after playing with the wind at their backs but struck swiftly through flanker Taine Basham and wing Ashton Hewitt to take command.


The Warriors tried desperately to work their way back into the contest but made far too many errors. Only when the clock was in the red did centre Huw Jones go over as the Dragons celebrated a first victory in the league on home soil since beating the Ospreys on December 30.

Glasgow, who headed south amid speculation of boss Dave Rennie leaving for the Australia top job, have now lost three of four fixtures and are yet to find their rhythm in a bid to go one better than they did in the PRO14 last season. The Dragons, meanwhile, are two from four and this was director of rugby Ryan’s first big scalp since taking the reins in Newport.

The Dragons started brightly with the wind at their backs but a fifth-minute penalty from fly-half Sam Davies was all they managed in the first quarter. Full-back Jordan Williams came closest with a chip and chase, the ball just sneaking over the dead ball line despite his despairing slide, but it was an error-strewn encounter.

A penalty for holding on, earned by impressive back rower Ollie Griffiths, earned the Dragons a shot at goal after 34 minutes and Davies made it 6-0 from just inside the Glasgow half. The Warriors were content to go to the break with a six-point deficit, safe in the knowledge the conditions would be in their favour in the second half.

(Continue reading below…)

Video Spacer

However, the Dragons were 13-0 up three minutes after the restart after flanker Basham powered over from close range after a break by wing Hewitt, Davies adding the conversion.

The lead stretched to 18-0 with half an hour to go after a comedy of Glasgow errors with fly-half Brandon Thomson charged down and then wing Kyle Steyn losing his footing when chasing a hacked-on ball over the line, gifting a five-pointer to Hewitt.


Glasgow needed a fast response but instead, the clock ticked past the hour with the Dragons in command and happy to slow things down. The Warriors mood was not helped when lock Kiran McDonald had a try chalked off for an illegal clear-out in the build-up before Scotland centre Jones slid over.

– Press Association 

WATCH: Warren Gatland is absolutely fine with some people writing off Wales’ chances against South Africa on Sunday

Video Spacer

Join free



Trending on RugbyPass


As of today you will need to reset your password to log into RugbyPass to continue commenting on articles.

Please click the ‘Login’ button below to be redirected and start the account validation and password reset process.

Thank you,


Be the first to comment...

Join free and tell us what you really think!

Sign up for free

Latest Features

Comments on RugbyPass

FEATURE Why Scott Robertson may need to ease big names aside for All Blacks' flexibility Why Scott Robertson may need to ease big names aside for All Blacks' flexibility