SA Rugby have confirmed that its professional rugby teams will return to non-contact training from Monday. The confirmation follows several weeks of consultation with government and provincial unions to ensure compliance with regulation and to minimise the risk of Covid-19 infection.
Eight teams will resume training with a view to competing in domestic competitions that are being modelled by SA Rugby and member unions to be accommodated into the remainder of the year.
The eight teams are the Bulls, Lions, Sharks, Stormers, Southern Kings, Cheetahs, Griquas and Pumas. Due to the economic impact of the pandemic on the sport, the remaining professional teams will remain in lockdown.
A statement also said SA Rugby will continue to work with all stakeholders on the prospects of a return to play for the Springboks at some point this year.
“This is an important first step back to playing and we have taken it carefully to ensure full compliance and having thoroughly interrogated the regulations with government,” said Jurie Roux, SA Rugby CEO.
"Taking a pay cut is inevitable and if you are looking for a new team, you're not going to get your market value"
— RugbyPass (@RugbyPass) July 16, 2020
“Contact training will not be permitted for the moment but the players will be allowed back onto the field with a rugby ball and back into the gym – while observing strict protocols in both areas – which comes as a great relief to the sport.”
Roux added that all players and management teams were being screened before Monday’s return and that training venues had been prepared to conform to the new protocols.
Several competition formats with various start dates featuring eight teams had been modelled for the return to competitive play, as it was highly unlikely that air corridors would be opened to allow international travel.
Roux said the only teams expected to appear in 2020 were the eight professional teams and those that fielded under-21 teams. All other competitions, as well as club rugby, were cancelled.
“The risk associated with a mass return to train and play has been highlighted by government and the timelines and practicalities are such that it is unrealistic that there will be a general return to play this year,” said Roux.
“Therefore the members of the CovCom [the standing committee of member unions and experts which has been managing rugby’s response to the pandemic] opted to formally confirm that the only rugby to take place under their jurisdiction this year would feature the eight senior teams.”
A sign that rugby's attraction continues to grow https://t.co/bM3vs8SMoW
— RugbyPass (@RugbyPass) July 15, 2020
Sign up to our mailing list for a weekly digest from the wide world of rugby.Sign Up Now