Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
World World



The major Six Nations concern for Wales and England ahead of World Cup 2023

Wales and England might regret stepping onto the coaching merry-go-round.

RugbyPass+ Home

Immaculate kicking from 19-point Evans secures Gloucester a win

(Photo by David Rogers/Getty Images)

Lloyd Evans kicked 19 points as Gloucester extended their unbeaten run in the Gallagher Premiership to four games with a 29-20 win against Newcastle. Called up to replace Scotland international Adam Hastings, Evans responded with an exemplary display of goal-kicking with no misses from seven attempts.


The out-half succeeded with five penalties and converted both of his side’s tries, scored by Val Rapava-Ruskin and Jonny May. Ben Stevenson and Cameron Nordli-Kelemiti scored Newcastle’s tries, with Joel Hodgson adding two penalties and two conversions.

After 45 minutes Gloucester look in total control of the match as they built up a 16-0 lead, but the introduction of fresh half-backs for Newcastle galvanised them and they scored 13 unanswered points before the hosts regained their dominance to run out deserved winners.

Video Spacer

Ex-England skipper Chris Robshaw guests on the latest RugbyPass Offload
Video Spacer
Ex-England skipper Chris Robshaw guests on the latest RugbyPass Offload

An Evans penalty gave Gloucester a ninth-minute lead but that was the only score of an evenly contested first quarter. Both scrum-halves, Ben Meehan and Louis Schreuder, favoured the kicking option as neither side threatened the try line in that opening period.

It was therefore no surprise that the next points came by way of a second penalty from Evans, this time from 40 metres. Poor kicks from Newcastle’s backs Brett Connon and Stevenson surrendered valuable ground for the visitors and their cause was not helped as they had an 8-1 penalty count against them in the first half-hour.

May enlivened proceedings with an elusive run out of defence before his side extended their lead when Rapava-Ruskin finished off a lineout drive, with a conversion from Evans giving the hosts a 13-0 interval lead. After the restart, strong runs from May and Ruan Ackermann took Gloucester deep into the opposition territory from where Evans kicked a straightforward penalty.


Newcastle immediately changed their half-backs, with Nordli-Kelemeti and Hodgson introduced and it soon paid dividends when the latter made a half break to create a try for Stevenson. The scoring pass looked suspiciously forward but, after TMO replays, referee Wayne Barnes allowed the try to stand.

Hodgson converted and kicked two penalties in quick succession to bring the Falcons right back into contention, with Gloucester changing five players in one fell swoop to try and turn the tide. It worked as they won a penalty for Evans, who scored two further penalties, the second following a high tackle from Stevenson.

With two minutes remaining, Gloucester applied the coup de grace when a forward drive set up the opportunity for May to walk over, with Evans knocking over the touchline conversion. However, Newcastle had the final say when Nordli-Kelemeti darted over in the dying moments.



Join free and tell us what you really think!

Join Free
RUGBYPASS+ How three refugees of England rugby landed Down Under after club cull How three refugees of England rugby landed Down Under after club cull