Northern Edition
Select Edition
Northern Northern
Southern Southern
Global Global
New Zealand New Zealand
France France

Dalton Papali’i becomes the latest All Black heading to France

Dalton Papali’i looks on during a New Zealand All Blacks training session at NZCIS on September 24, 2024 in Wellington, New Zealand. (Photo by Hagen Hopkins/Getty Images)

All Blacks and Blues flanker Dalton Papali’i has signed a three-year contract with the Top 14’s Castres ahead of next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 28-year-old will leave the Blues at the end of the Super Rugby Pacific season, where he will likely become a centurion having made his 98th appearance in a try-scoring defeat to the Chiefs in round on one Saturday.

Despite having 37 caps for the All Blacks to his name, Papali’i struggled for game time in 2025, only making one appearance from the bench against France in July, although he captained the All Blacks XV at the end of the year. While a new All Blacks coach provides the hope of a recall to the Test set-up, he has opted for a new challenge with a Castres outfit who currently sit in ninth place in the Top 14.

VIDEO

Papali’i will join fellow All Black Jack Goodhue at the Stade Pierre-Fabre, as well as, confusingly, compatriot and namesake Abraham Papali’i in the back-row.

Fellow New Zealand representatives Braydon Ennor, Sevu Reece and Etene Nanai-Seturo will also be making the move north alongside Papali’i.

Fixture
Super Rugby Pacific
Force
00:35
21 Feb 26
Blues
All Stats and Data

“This club means everything to me. I grew up dreaming of wearing the Blues jersey and representing my country. I’ve been lucky enough to live that dream for a long time,” Papali’i said.

“The Blues gave me my chance, backed me, and helped me become the player and person I am. This was a really hard decision, but the opportunity in France is something that works well for where I’m at in my career with my young family.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I’m fully committed to finishing my time here the right way. I love this club, the people, and our supporters, and I’ll keep giving everything I’ve got into the season ahead.”

Speaking to his future club, the flanker said: “ I think I’ve reached the maturity necessary to have such an experience to adapt to a different style of rugby and embark on a new adventure while contributing fully to the team.

“I know the club’s history; I know that several All Blacks have preceded me at Castres, such as Kees Meeuws, Carl Hoeft, Chris Masoe, and more recently Jack Goodhue and Gary Whetton, with whom I’ve had a long conversation. It’s a city passionate about its club and offers a family-oriented environment. It’s also a club that loves taking on challenges. All of that suits me.”

Related

Six Nations picks

Plot your team's route to the Six Nations title with our Six Nations score predictor game! 

ADVERTISEMENT
Play Video
LIVE

{{item.title}}

Trending on RugbyPass

Comments

2 Comments
I
Icefarrow 1 hr ago

Won’t be missed. Was stuck behind the golden generation, and already surpassed by the newer generation. Third/ fourth choice pick under every coach. Plus he threw his toys out of the cot over not getting selected last year. Good riddance.

S
SB 2 hours ago

Good signing for Castres.

Join free and tell us what you really think!

Sign up for free
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Long Reads

Comments on RugbyPass

Close
ADVERTISEMENT