United Rugby Championship Johnny Matthews brace helps Glasgow blow through Stormers

View all Greg Peterson news View all France news

Glasgow Warriors scored three first-half tries to defeat United Rugby Championship leaders Stormers 20-9 at Scotstoun.A Sione Tuipulotu score and then two from Johnny Matthews gave Franco Smith’s side a 20-9 half-time lead, their situation helped by Stormers having two men sin-binned in quick succession.The South Africans poured on the pressure once restored to full strength but could not break down a resolute Glasgow defence that held firm to claim a statement victory against the team that reached the last two URC finals.After a cagey opening period, Sebastian Cancelliere’s run from his own half carried Warriors into the Stormers 22. Tom Jordan was waiting on his shoulder to finish but Cancelliere’s pass failed to find the fly-half and the opportunity was lost.Stormers moved in front through a Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu penalty after Ollie Smith had been penalised for not releasing.Glasgow replied through a Tuipulotu try after George Horne had fed Stafford McDowall from the back of the scrum who in turn found Tuipulotu who burst under the posts. Horne converted.Feinberg-Mngomezulu knocked over another penalty before Warriors landed another score. This time it came from the line-out drive, with Matthews scoring from the maul.This time Horne could not make the conversion but did knock over a penalty shortly afterwards after Stormers were punished for not rolling away.Glasgow errors, though, were keeping the visitors in the game and Feinberg-Mngomezulu kicked a massive penalty after another Oli Kebble infringement to reduce the deficit.Stormers were then reduced to 14 men for 10 minutes after Evan Roos tackled Matt Fagerson to the ground off the ball and was shown a yellow card.That quickly became 13 when Joseph Dweba was penalised for a dangerous tackle on Greg Peterson and joined his team-mate in the sin bin.Glasgow were quick to take advantage with Matthews diving over in the corner for his second try of the game.Stormers were soon back to their full complement and started to put the home defence under a period of sustained pressure.But some stout defending kept the visitors at bay in a scoreless second half.

PA by PA