Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
World World

Scotland pair star in big win for Glasgow at Connacht

Johnny Matthews of Glasgow Warriors, centre, and teammates celebrates their side's sixth try during the United Rugby Championship (Photo By Seb Daly/Sportsfile via Getty Images)

Trending on RugbyPass

More News More News

Rufus McLean and Kyle Steyn both touched down twice in Glasgow’s runaway 42-20 United Rugby Championship win over Connacht at the Sportsground.


Chasing their third straight league victory, Warriors led 17-10 at half-time thanks to tries from McLean, Steyn and co-captain Fraser Brown.

Connacht hit back through Sam Arnold during Richie Gray’s sin-binning, and a Paul Boyle try drew them level in the 43rd minute.

Video Spacer

Saracens vs Bristol Bears – The Showdown 2
Video Spacer
Saracens vs Bristol Bears – The Showdown 2

Connacht’s debutant fly-half Cathal Forde kicked 10 points, but McLean and Steyn struck again on the hour mark and replacement Johnny Matthews rounded off the six-try success late on.

Glasgow’s attack and backs coach Nigel Carolan, who joined from Connacht last summer, would have been pleased with the visitors’ early sharpness, which led to a second-minute try.

Their ability to get over the gain line saw winger McLean cross in the left corner, via a George Horne pass.

Facing into the wind, Glasgow lost the momentum when lock Gray was binned for a dangerous clear-out on Ultan Dillane.


A fine 50:22 kick from Tiernan O’Halloran, on his 200th appearance, got Connacht into range and Forde’s short pass sent Arnold over for a seven-pointer.

Warriors ended the opening quarter with a 12-7 lead, Steyn shrugging off Tom Farrell’s attempted tackle to score after good work from Sione Tuipulotu.

While Connacht’s line-out was misfiring, a well-executed maul sent Brown over for a try, five minutes before the break.



Forde snuck in a late penalty to close the gap to seven points, and with Oisin Dowling providing an impact off the bench, Connacht were much improved on the resumption.

Number eight Boyle burrowed over for Forde to kick Connacht level, and then Forde cancelled out a Duncan Weir penalty with his second of the contest.

Boyle’s binning for going off his feet had the hosts under pressure, though, and Weir looped a pass out for McLean to notch the bonus point in the corner.

Weir then converted Steyn’s second score, the South African-born centre capitalising on a partially-blocked kick.

A disappointing Connacht side had little left in the tank, leaving Weir to tag on a penalty and convert Matthews’ 80th-minute maul try.


Join free and tell us what you really think!

Join Free
RUGBYPASS+ Rob Evans: 'I've tried to base my life on honesty and integrity and if you don't get it back, it hurts' Rob Evans: 'I've tried to base my life on honesty and integrity and if you don't get it back, it hurts'