Rugby chiefs monitoring situation as Munster and Cardiff remain in SA
Scarlets players and staff, meanwhile, are now understood to be isolating at a Belfast hotel after arriving into Dublin from South Africa during the early hours of Monday.
The PA news agency understands that there are no current plans for any of those European fixtures to be postponed.
Munster and Cardiff had hoped to join the Scarlets in leaving Cape Town on Sunday aboard a charter flight after South Africa was added to the UK Government’s travel red list.
But Munster then reported one case of Covid-19, while Cardiff also remained in Cape Town following two positive cases, one of which is suspected to be the new variant Omicron, with both groups having started a period of isolation.
The United Rugby Championship had been scheduled to stage its first fixtures on South African soil over the weekend, but all four games were postponed.
“We are monitoring the situation and are in contact with the clubs,” a European Professional Club Rugby spokesperson said.
In their latest statement, Cardiff said: “Cardiff Rugby continue to work with the South African Rugby Union, the Welsh Rugby Union and public health authorities both at home and abroad to decide the next course of action.
“The club are also continuing to work with all relevant authorities to secure the travelling party’s return to Wales when safe and appropriate.”
Round seven URC fixtures, scheduled to take place in South Africa next weekend, have also been postponed.
Munster said their players and staff will undergo another round of PCR testing on Monday, with results expected on Tuesday.
“This has been a whirlwind of a time and we are very grateful to the people in the background who are helping us during this challenging period, and for all the best wishes we are receiving,” head coach Johann van Graan told Munster’s official website.
“We have one player in a different hotel who is doing as well as possible after receiving a positive PCR result, while the remainder of the group are isolating individually at the team hotel.
“Work is ongoing with all relevant authorities in securing our return to Ireland at a time when safe and appropriate, but for now our priority is to look after our players and staff.”
Join RugbyPass+ now and be apart of the conversation with all-new commenting!Join Now