Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
World World

Ryan Wilson's medical history critical in citing complaint not being upheld

By Online Editors
Scotland flanker Ryan Wilson

Trending on RugbyPass

More News More News

Scottish Number 8 Ryan Wilson is free to play against Ireland after his citing for an incident with Nathan Hughes during the Calcutta Cup on the weekend was dismissed.


The alleged foul play was not upheld at today’s hearing in London.

Wilson had been cited for an alleged act of foul play by the independent Citing Commissioner appointed by World Rugby at the NatWest 6 Nations match between Scotland and England on Saturday, namely contact with the eye area of an opponent.

Criticially it was Wilson’s medical records that played a significant part in the allegations against him being dismissed.

A statement reads: ‘The Disciplinary Committee accepted medical evidence adduced on the player’s behalf to the effect that, due to a pre-existing injury, two of his fingers (his fourth and little finger on his right hand) were involuntarily in a bent or hooked position.

“The Disciplinary Committee also considered that the contact with the eye area had been reckless (rather than intentional), light and fleeting, and had come about as a result of the player’s attempts to grab his opponent’s shirt during an off-the-ball scuffle with his opponent.


“After careful consideration, the Disciplinary Committee did not conclude that the foul play had warranted a red card, and the citing was not upheld. No sanction was imposed and the player is free to resume playing immediately.”

Wilson gave a brilliantly humourous response to being freed to play.

Before the match started Wilson was also involved in an off-field incident with Owen Farrell. The Six Nations have finished their investigation into the incident and have concluded that no further action should be taken.


Farrell and Wilson appeared to become embroiled in some pushing and shoving as the two teams left the field following their pre-match warm-ups.

A statement provided to Omnisport on Sunday read: “Six Nations Rugby will be writing to the unions to request clarification on what happened in the tunnel.”

England coach Eddie Jones denied any knowledge of a scuffle, while Scotland captain John Barclay was quoted by the Guardian as saying: “I heard about it but I am always the first off the pitch after the warm-up and I was in the toilets.

“It is one of those things that gets built up into something more than it was.

“It is a big game and a big rivalry. It was niggly and physical with a lot on the line.”

Scotland went on to beat England 25-13 to win the Calcutta Cup for the first time in 10 years and end their rivals’ hopes of claiming a Grand Slam.


Join free and tell us what you really think!

Join Free
TRENDING Wallabies resigned to losing Tupou as England Test beckons Wallabies resigned to losing Tupou as England Test beckons