Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
World World

George North suffers yet another sickening concussion

By Online Editors
(Photo by David Rogers/Getty Images)

Trending on RugbyPass

More News More News

George North was left lying motionless on the Principality Stadium turf after crashing into a French elbow early on in Wales’ Guinness Six Nations match versus France.


There had been much focus on player concussion leading into Saturday’s game in Cardiff with Welsh out-half Dan Biggar being declared fit to play despite suffering his third bang to his head in five months. 

However, while Biggar thankfully demonstrated he was indeed ready to make his comeback following his latest blow in Wales’ round two defeat to Ireland on February 8, the concussion focus quickly shifted to team-mate North. 

The winger was chasing a cross-kick from Biggar just after the ten-minute mark when Gael Fickou’s elbow made contact with his head as they both sought to collect the ball. 

Welsh medics quickly raced to his assistance while he lay prone on the ground but he seemed to come around after just a few seconds.

He was replaced by Johnny McNicholl and was seen taking a place in the Wales dug-out during the second half of a frantic match that France won 27-23 to keep alive their hopes of a first Grand Slam since 2010.


The 27-year-old has a history of head knocks during his career, even taking five months out of the game in 2015 following a string of setbacks. 

There was also controversy the next year after he was allowed to return to the pitch for Northampton during a Premiership match against Leicester despite taking a blow that should have meant he was permanently replaced. 

WATCH: Catch up on all the highlights from round five of the Japanese Top League

Video Spacer


Join free and tell us what you really think!

Join Free
TRENDING Former Wallaby latest ex-test star to throw hat in ring for Tonga selection Ex-Wallabies lock keen to represent Tonga at World Cup