Northern Edition

Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
Global Global
New Zealand New Zealand
France France

The 123-year-old historical clash NZR can revive during Super Rugby's suspension

(Photo by Hannah Peters/Getty Images)

With Super Rugby now suspended for the foreseeable future due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, alternative solutions are being explored in a bid to fill the rugby void.

ADVERTISEMENT

Strict travel restrictions implemented by the New Zealand and Australian governments means people travelling into Australasia will be required to self-isolate for 14 days, which eliminates the prospect of Super Rugby taking place for at least the next fortnight.

Realistically, though, given the rapidly developing nature of COVID-19, the competition is likely to be suspended for much longer than that.

Continue reading below…

Video Spacer

That has led SANZAAR chief executive Andy Marinos to concede that if Super Rugby hasn’t resumed by the end of April, then the tournament will have to be called off.

“If it [suspension] goes four, five weeks then it’s going to be almost impossible because we don’t have the schedule to do anything further,” he told Newshub.

In the absence of regular competition fixtures, there has been talk in both New Zealand and Australia of in-bound clashes against other franchises from the same conference.

New Zealand Rugby Players’ Association boss Rob Nichol has revealed to Stuff that New Zealand Rugby and SANZAAR have been working on Super Rugby alternative models “for weeks” prior to the competition’s suspension.

ADVERTISEMENT

One of the options on the table was a ‘derby only’ format if and when Super Rugby continues, something of which Brumbies head coach Dan McKellar is eager to pursue in Australia.

“We just want to play footy,” McKellar said following his side’s 47-14 victory over the Waratahs on Sunday.

“We were supposed to be going to Auckland and that’s not happening and then we’ve got the Reds, Melbourne and we play the Tahs again.

“If we can get the conference games; it’s a conference system so play your conference games and then see where things are at and then hopefully we can have a genuine finals series and the best play the best.”

ADVERTISEMENT

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9u4943A3fX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

However, such a model is dependent on Super Rugby coming back to fruition by the end of April, which is no certainty if Marinos’ comments are anything to go by.

Practice matches may be held between conference rivals in the meantime, but if there is no competition to return to, these clashes would be merely exhibition fixtures.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing in terms of upholding fan engagement and keeping players match-fit and prepared to return to action.

But, if exhibition matches are what franchises must resort to, then why not resurrect the ultimate exhibition match – from a New Zealand perspective – in the form of the North Island vs South Island derby.

Despite its prominence in New Zealand rugby history after having been played 80 times over 123 years, the inter-island rivalry is one that has been severely neglected since it stopped being held annually after 1986.

Since then, the clash has only been played twice, with the last of those matches coming eight years ago in a fundraising effort for the financially embattled Otago Rugby Football Union.

To no avail, Kiwi rugby tragics have longed for this classic and formerly highly-anticipated fixture to return to the yearly rugby calendar.

The evolution of professionalism in rugby has resulted in a saturation of matches at all levels from early February to late November, leaving no room for a contest that was once considered a marquee event that evoked a sense of rivalry and tribalism on both sides of the Cook Strait that hasn’t been seen in New Zealand sport, let alone rugby, for decades.

However, as the spread of coronavirus ensures that there will be no meaningful Super Rugby matches over the coming weeks (and potentially months), there can’t be many better opportunities to reintegrate the North Island vs South Island clash into the Kiwi rugby landscape.

Even if the rivalry resumes as a one-off spectacle, the incorporation of the fixture with New Zealand’s star players all available for selection would be a treasured and much-welcomed return of a former gem of the national game.

Potential North vs South lineups

North Island

 1. Ofa Tu’ungafasi (Born: Tonga; School(s): Mangere College)

2. Codie Taylor (Levin; Fielding High School/Horowhenua College)

3. Nepo Laulala (Samoa; Mount Albert Grammar School/Wesley College)

4. Scott Barrett (New Plymouth; Francis Douglas Memorial College)

5. Sam Whitelock (Palmerston North; Fielding High School)

6. Luke Jacobson (Cambridge; Cambridge High School)

7. Sam Cane (Rotorua; Tauranga Boys’ High School)

8. Ardie Savea (Wellington; Rongotai College)

9. Aaron Smith (Palmerston North; Fielding High School)

10. Beauden Barrett (New Plymouth; Francis Douglas Memorial College)

11. Rieko Ioane (Auckland; Auckland Grammar School)

12. Ngani Laumape (Palmerston North; Palmerston North Boys’ High School)

13. Jack Goodhue (Whangarei; Mount Albert Grammar School)

14. Sevu Reece (Fiji; Hamilton Boys’ High School)

15. Jordie Barrett (New Plymouth; Francis Douglas Memorial College)

Reserves

16. Dane Coles (Paraparaumu; Wellington College)

17. Karl Tu’inukuafe (Auckland; Wesley College)

18. Angus Ta’avao (Auckland; Dilworth School)

19. Isaia Walker-Leawere (Gisborne; Gisborne Boys’ High School)

20. Dalton Papalii (Auckland; St Kentigern College)

21. TJ Perenara (Porirua; Mana College)

22. Aaron Cruden (Palmerston North; Palmerston North Boys’ High School)

23. George Bridge (Gisborne; Lindisfarne College)

South Island

1. Joe Moody (Christchurch; Christ’s College)

2. Ricky Jackson (Dunedin; Otago Boys’ High School)

3. Atu Moli (Gisborne; Marlborough Boys’ College)

4. Brodie Retallick (Rangiora; Christchurch Boys’ High School)

5. Patrick Tuipulotu (Christchurch; St Peter’s College)

6. Cullen Grace (Hawera; Timaru Boys’ High School)

7. Tom Christie (Gore; Shirley Boys’ High School)

8. Tom Sanders (Christchurch; Lincoln High School)

9. Mitchell Drummond (Nelson; Nelson College)

10. Richie Mo’unga (Christchurch; St Andrew’s College)

11. Leicester Fainga’anuku (Tonga; Nelson College)

12. David Havili (Nelson; Motueka High School/Nelson College)

13. Anton Lienert-Brown (Christchurch; Christchurch Boys’ High School)

14. Solomon Alaimalo (Auckland; St Bede’s College)

15. Damian McKenzie (Invercargill; Christ’s College)

Reserves

16. Brodie McAlister (Christchurch; Shirley Boys’ High School)

17. Daniel Lienert-Brown (Christchurch; Christchurch Boys’ High School)

18. Siate Tokolahi (Tonga; Sacred Heart College/St Bede’s College)

19. Quinten Strange (Takaka; Nelson College)

20. Reed Prinsep (Christchurch; Christchurch Boys’ High School)

21. Jay Renton (Invercargill; Southland Boys’ High School)

22. Mitch Hunt (Nelson; Nelson College)

23. Will Jordan (Christchurch; Christchurch Boys’ High School)

NB: Selections primarily based on place of birth and/or secondary school attendance.

In other news:

Video Spacer
ADVERTISEMENT

Boks Office | Episode 39 | The Investec Champions Cup is back

Argentina v France | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Men's Match Highlights

New Zealand v Australia | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Women's Match Highlights

Tokyo Sungoliath vs Shizuoka BlueRevs | Japan Rugby League One 2024/25 | Full Match Replay

Reds vs Force | Super Rugby W 2025 | Full Match Replay

The Rise of Kenya | The Report

New Zealand in Hong Kong | Brady Rush | Sevens Wonders | Episode 4

The Fixture: How This Rugby Rivalry Has Lasted 59 Years

Trending on RugbyPass

Comments

0 Comments
Be the first to comment...

Join free and tell us what you really think!

Sign up for free
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Features

Comments on RugbyPass

C
ChristelLoewe 17 minutes ago
Ireland captain Edel McMahon to start against Italy

REACH OUT TO TECH CYBER FORCE RECOVERY FOR A GREAT JOB

WhatsApp +15617263697

Fine wine and crypto do not always blend well, especially after a few drinks. I learned this the hard way after a record harvest at my vineyard. Swirling an old Cabernet under the stars, I was a financial connoisseur, my $720,000 Bitcoin wallet aging well for future returns. But the next morning, with a hangover as intense as my Merlion, I realized I'd forgotten my wallet password. Even worse, my recovery phrase, which I'd written down in my wine cellar notebook, had vanished. My eager new assistant had tidied up, mistaking my scribbled security notes for wine tasting spillage, and donated the entire book to the recycling gods. I dove into the garbage cans like a desperate sommelier searching for a quality grape but came up with broken dreams and soggy cardboard. Panic set in faster than cork taint. I faced the bitter truth: my digital fortune was bottled up tighter than a corked bottle with no opener. I sank into denial, questioning whether my future vineyard expansion would now be reduced to selling boxed wine. I panicked, pored over industry publications, and came across a wine industry newsletter that mentioned Tech Cyber Force Recovery. Their slogan, something playful about "decanting lost crypto," seemed like a sign from God. I contacted them, half-expecting snobbery or skepticism. What I received instead were tech wizards who tackled my case with humor and precision. Their team labored over my case like veteran sommeliers dissecting terroir. They painstakingly reconstructed transaction flows, timestamp records, and subtle wallet behavior. It was as if I was watching wine connoisseurs sniff out hints of blackcurrant and oak, but with algorithms and blockchain forensics. Each day, they provided updates with the finesse of tasting notes. “We’re detecting progress, notes of potential access, hints of password recovery on the finish.” Their creativity lightened my anxiety, and ten days later, they uncorked my digital vault. When I saw my Bitcoin balance restored, I nearly opened a bottle of my best vintage at 9 AM. My assistant and I shared a hearty laugh; he's still working for me, but now he labels my ledgers with "DO NOT TOUCH" in bold. My wine business is thriving thanks to Tech Cyber Force Recovery, and I have a new rule: passwords before Pinot. Cheers to their genius!

0 Go to comments
J
JB 1 hour ago
Don't get out over your skis on the Highlanders

As a devoted father of two, my primary concern has always been the safety and well-being of my family. This commitment to my family's security was put to the test on February 6, 2025, when I embarked on a quest to find a trustworthy home security system that could offer us the protection we needed. After conducting some research online, I stumbled upon a security company that seemed promising, and I took the initiative to reach out through their messaging platform. Hours later, my phone rang, and I was greeted by a representative claiming to be from a well-known home security company. They were reaching out to inform me about a special promotional offer, which immediately piqued my interest. However, as the promised week came and went without so much as a peep from the company, my feelings of unease began to escalate. I attempted to contact the company again to inquire about the delay, only to find that the number I had called was suddenly disconnected. It was at that moment—when the reality of the situation hit me—that I understood I had fallen victim to a scam. The devastation that followed was profound; losing $40,000 was not merely a financial setback but a personal failure in my eyes—an inability to safeguard my family's future. The experience left me feeling vulnerable, exposed, and utterly defeated. Determined to reclaim my lost resources, I knew that swift action was essential. I turned to the internet for help and began researching options for recovering my funds. During this search, I came across BOTNET CRYPTO RECOVERY, a company with a track record of assisting individuals who had encountered similar unfortunate situations. Intrigued by the success stories of people who had benefited from their services, I made the decision to reach out to them. From the moment I contacted BOTNET CRYPTO RECOVERY, I was met with professionalism and empathy. Their team was understanding of my plight and remained reassuring throughout the process. They immediately set to work on investigating the fraudulent transaction and kept me informed at every step, alleviating some of the anxiety that had consumed me since the incident.Thanks to their diligence, expertise, and unwavering commitment, BOTNET CRYPTO RECOVERY was eventually able to recover an astounding $35,800 of the $40,000 I had lost. The relief I felt was immeasurable; it was as if a heavy weight had been lifted from my shoulders. Not only did they help restore my finances, but they also provided me with something

invaluable—peace of mind.Their contact info is listed below.


+1 (431) 801-8951

botnetcryptorecovery@groupmail.com

4 Go to comments
TRENDING
TRENDING Worcester Warriors poised to make first two signings Worcester Warriors poised to make first two signings
Search