Northern Edition
Select Edition
Northern Northern
Southern Southern
Global Global
New Zealand New Zealand
France France

Steve Borthwick staunchly defends under-fire star amid wave of criticism

By Josh Raisey at Allianz Stadium, Twickenham
England players react at the end of their loss in the Six Nations international rugby union match between England and Ireland at Allianz Stadium, Twickenham, in south-west London, on February 21, 2026. (Photo by Glyn KIRK / AFP)

England head coach Steve Borthwick has said that it is “all of our responsibility” after his side’s second successive loss in the Guinness Six Nations at the hands of Ireland, deflecting any criticism directed towards his fly-half, George Ford.

ADVERTISEMENT

Following a dismal showing in Edinburgh last week against Scotland, the veteran fly-half struggled to get England’s backline firing again as the hosts succumbed to a 42-21 defeat at Twickenham’s Allianz Stadium.

The 32-year-old came under fire following the Calcutta Cup loss in round two of the Championship, not helped by his charged-down drop-goal attempt that resulted in a Scotland try, but failed to guide England back to winning ways on home soil.

VIDEO

England made 12 entries into the Irish 22, while Andy Farrell’s men only made nine, but the hosts came away with 1.75 points per entry compared to Ireland’s 4.33. Stats like that will often result in criticism being directed towards a team’s playmaker, and this has proven to be no exception.

Borthwick was quizzed on the form of his No.10 after the match, particularly with Fin Smith and Marcus Smith waiting in the wings, but he was quick to highlight the success Ford has had over the past year for England, as it was only a matter of weeks ago that he was being named player of the match in a victory over the All Blacks.

Match Summary

0
Penalty Goals
3
3
Tries
5
3
Conversions
4
0
Drop Goals
0
149
Carries
119
7
Line Breaks
8
22
Turnovers Lost
12
2
Turnovers Won
11

“I think George is doing so much good for England and has done for a long period of time and particularly the last spell,” Borthwick said.

“I think the way George played in the autumn was outstanding, and I think two weeks ago he played really well here against Wales.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I know you want to talk about individuals, but the team, it’s all of us today. Like last week, we didn’t find a way to get the result we wanted, but that’s all of our responsibility.

“I think Fin Smith is an excellent player, as is Marcus Smith, and we have some very good players and options in that position and in the 15 position also.”

England captain Maro Itoje was also quick to defend his team-mate in the face of a tidal wave of criticism.

“George is a fantastic player,” he said. “He’s a player I deeply admire. He’s the player who’s delivered for England time and time and time again, and he’s had a huge amount of success in his career, and he will continue to have a huge amount of success in his career with this team and all of the teams he represents.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Related

Six Nations picks

Plot your team's route to the Six Nations title with our Six Nations score predictor game! 

ADVERTISEMENT
Play Video
LIVE

{{item.title}}

Trending on RugbyPass

Comments

8 Comments
u
unknown 1 hr ago

Ford and Borthwick need to go. Better options available in both cases. Ford was dreadful last week and even worse today. As for Borthwick he hasn’t prepared the team properly and the coaching looks woefully inadequate. Enough is enough, it’s time for a change!

u
unknown 47 mins ago

Quiet please, as a French I want Ford on the field for the last match xD

E
Eric Elwood 1 hr ago

As Scotland struggle against Wales it must be noted how much an emotional effort the match was last week. Doing that two weeks in a row is not possible.

So England were a little down and Ireland were very up. It remains to be seen if England had decided to run the ball more in advance which would have been an error given what Stuart McCloskey did to Ford.

Given the difficulty of going from week 2 to 3 it could be argued that England’s draw was particularly tough. Good test for a later RWC knock out match they failed. This is why SA have almost two full quality teams.

A
AA 1 hr ago

As ever Borthwick head in the sand.

If he can’t see that the England back line is poor and confused he should be asked to leave.

His stubbornness in not accepting his kick and rush has been found out is dreadful .

What one asks is the attack coach doing .

Asleep at the wheel or blindly following orders .

Bad ones at that.

u
unknown 1 hr ago

Retaining Ford means England defend narrowly as there isn’t faith he can hold the defensive line. Both Scotland and Ireland exploited it to great effect. Ford fluffed two kicks to touch in the 22, and butchered at least three good attacking opportunities with poor passing or poor decision-making. He was also caught in possession and his kicking woeful again. Why persevere when we have a young better player in F Smith to come in. Look at the difference in Ireland with Crowley at 10 vs Pendergast. Borthwick being stubborn and protecting his favourite is detrimental to the English game and shows Borthwick should go as well

H
Hammer Head 1 hr ago

To be fair no one on the English team played very well. So focusing on Ford is unfair.


But it is time for Borthwicke to make a change at 10. Bring George off the bench.

u
unknown 37 mins ago

Borthwick and Ford are about as inspiring as a pair of dirty underpants. England need an overhaul and fast

Load More Comments

Join free and tell us what you really think!

Sign up for free
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Long Reads

Comments on RugbyPass

Close
ADVERTISEMENT