A New Zealand man has been banned from all forms of rugby for five years after he was charged with assault following a sideline incident at a senior club match in Oamaru last weekend.
According to Fairfax, Police Sergeant Tony Woodbridge said on Tuesday that the 34-year-old referee was allegedly assaulted by a 20-year-old spectator shortly after full time of a club rugby match between Valley and Old Boys.
The match finished with Valley winning 32-29 after extra time at Oamaru’s Whitestone Contracting Stadium.
North Otago Rugby CEO Colin Jackson confirmed on Friday the man guilty of the assault had been given the five-year ban at a judicial hearing held earlier in the week.
“It’s a sad day, it’s not a positive. There’s nothing positive in these outcomes,” Jackson said. “Unfortunately it’s been one idiotic act.”
Jackson also said the union takes strides to make sure incidents like this don’t happen.
Measures include appointing match day managers, who are responsible for policing supporters and ensure any sideline abuse of referees is addressed.
In other news: