Michael Cheika has confirmed he won’t seek re-appointment as Wallabies coach following their failure at the Rugby World Cup.
A day after his team were outclassed 40-16 by England in their quarter-final in Oita, Cheika confirmed he will stand down, ending five years in the role.
The outspoken coach wasn’t pulling any punches during his announcement.
“It is no secret I have no relationship with the CEO and not much with the chairman,” Cheika said.
On Saturday evening, immediately post-match, Cheika said it was “cruel” that a journalist should ask him about his intentions in the immediate wake of his side’s heavy defeat but the following afternoon he conceded the time was right for change.
Cheika’s tenure was marked by a successful 2015 World Cup campaign in which Australia reached the final and a disappointing display at the global tournament in Japan, the respective outcomes marking a gradual decline in the team’s overall performances.
The 52-year-old had always said he would stand down if the Wallabies didn’t win the tournament.
He has been linked with a coaching role at French club Montpellier.
Rugby Australia director of rugby Scott Johnson has already been scoping possible candidates for 2020.
Rennie, who also has close ties with Johnson, has previously quashed any link with the Wallabies role, pointing out he had signed an extension with Glasgow that takes him through to the middle of next year.
That hasn’t stopped the 55-year-old’s name being continually linked with Australia.
Michael Cheika wasn’t exactly keen to talk about his future at Saturday’s post-match press conference:
Sign up to our mailing list here and we’ll keep you up to the minute with weekly updates from the world of rugby.