Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
World World

Leicester's Guy Porter cops ban for off the ball collision

By Ian Cameron
Guy Porter of Leicester Tigers looks o during the Gallagher Premiership Rugby match between Leicester Tigers and Worcester Warriors at Mattioli Woods Welford Road Stadium on February 05, 2022 in Leicester, England. (Photo by Malcolm Couzens/Getty Images)

Trending on RugbyPass

More News More News

Leicester Tigers centre Guy Porter has been handed a ban for his collision with Clermont’s Fritz Lee in the Heineken Champions Cup match last weekend.


Leicester won the game 29 – 10, but were forced to play the final quarter of this game with 14 men after Porter was shown a red card for making contact with the head of Clermont No.8 at the Stade Marcel-Michelin.

Some felt the red card was overly harsh as Porter appeared to accidentally run into Lee in what some claimed was a ‘rugby incident’.

Video Spacer

The Honey Badger – Nick Cummins joins Ryan and Max – RugbyPass Offload – Episode 29
Video Spacer
The Honey Badger – Nick Cummins joins Ryan and Max – RugbyPass Offload – Episode 29

Porter has now been suspended for three weeks following an independent Disciplinary Hearing by video conference.

Referee Nika Amashukeli of Georgia sent off Porter in the 60th minute of the match for making contact with the head of Lee “in a reckless manner in contravention of Law 9.11.”

Law 9.11 Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others. Under World Rugby’s Sanctions for Foul Play, Law 9.11 carries the following sanction entry points – Low End: 2 weeks; Mid-range: 6 weeks; Top end: 10 to 52 weeks.

“Roger Morris (Wales), chair, David Humphreys (Ireland) and Frank Hadden (Scotland), considered video imagery of the incident and heard submissions from the player, who did not accept the red card decision, from the player’s legal representative, John Shea, from the Leicester Tigers General Manager, Leigh Jones, and from the EPCR Disciplinary Officer, Liam McTiernan.


“The committee upheld the red card decision, finding that Porter had committed a reckless act of foul play that warranted a red card. It then determined that the offending was at the mid-range of World Rugby’s sanctions and six weeks was selected as the appropriate entry point.

“Due to the player’s clear disciplinary record and his concern for Lee following the incident, it was decided to grant the full 50 per cent mitigation and the committee therefore reduced the sanction by three weeks before imposing a three-week suspension.

“As Leicester Tigers are scheduled to play a Premiership Rugby Cup semi-final on Tuesday, 26 April, Porter is free to play on Wednesday, 27 April. However, if he applies for and completes a World Rugby Coaching Intervention, he will be free to play on Monday, 25 April.”


Join free and tell us what you really think!

Join Free
RUGBYPASS+ How the forward pass has tied rugby up in knots How the forward pass has tied rugby up in knots