Etzebeth, along with a group of friends, has been accused of assault and racial abuse during a night out in Langebaan in the Western Cape in August.
Two weeks ago, The South African Human Rights Commission “formally lodged an equality court application against Eben Etzebeth for using racial slurs,” SAHRC acting legal head Buang Jones told journalists.
“We are sending a clear message with this case that the ‘h’ word falls in the same category as the ‘k’ word,” he said.
The complainants, who are calling themselves the ‘Langebaan Four’, want financial compensation of over ZAR1-million (US$66,505) for damages.
They also want the player to undergo a restorative process which includes an apology from Etzebeth, and for him to attend anger management and do community service in Langebaan.
However, in a new twist, SAHRC chairperson Bongani Majola confirmed to the Mail & Guardian that the commission has been served legal papers from Etzebeth’s attorney.
The Springboks star, who is currently at the World Cup in Japan, wants the Gauteng High Court to review the decision to take the matter involving the so-called Langebaan Four to the Equality Court.
“We received the documents on Monday,” he said.
“I’m busy working through them. We still have to determine exactly why he’s taking us to court.”
Earlier this month an SA Rugby spokesman said: “SA Rugby reaffirms its commitment as a good corporate citizen to abide by any requirements placed on it or its employees by South African authorities.
“We have fulfilled all requests to date and will continue to do so as and when advised. Following our discussions with the South African Human Rights Commission we have instituted an internal process to address the matter, the details of which remain an employment matter between SA Rugby and the player.”
– Rugby 365
Sign up to our mailing list here and we’ll keep you up to the minute with weekly updates from the world of rugby.