Wigan Warriors say they have been seeking contact with Shaun Edwards to “clarify his intentions” after the Wales defence coach stated he would “consider all offers” for a new role.
Edwards last year agreed to take over as head coach of the Super League champions in 2020, as he will vacate his position with the new Six Nations winners after the Rugby World Cup.
The Wigan legend said after Wales sealed the Grand Slam on Saturday that his future is up in the air, given he has not signed a contract with the Warriors.
Edwards’ next move remains unclear following a statement released by Wigan on Monday.
“Wigan Warriors are aware of quotes from Shaun Edwards regarding his future contractual arrangements.” the struggling Warriors stated.
“Following the conclusion of the Six Nations and Shaun’s comments, we have been seeking dialogue with Shaun directly since Sunday to clarify to Wigan his intentions.”
Edwards has been linked with a return to Wasps and he said he would be open to any opportunities.
“I haven’t signed a contract,” he explained. “The only team I’m not going to go to is Wales, because the new coach [Wayne Pivac] is going in a different direction.
“He wants to do something different. So that’s where I’m at at the moment. So as it stands, come the end of the World Cup I’m unemployed.”
He added: “I agreed with Wigan and thought we would sign a contract,
“But then Wigan said, ‘it’s okay, we’ll sign one later’, and I thought that was unusual. And that was nine months ago. I agreed to go to Wigan, but I never signed a contract.
“I’ll consider all offers, league, union. All I can say is that I haven’t signed anything with anybody.”
Adrian Lam is currently in charge of Wigan, his appointment for the 2019 season having been announced alongside the hiring of Edwards from 2020.
Sign up to our mailing list here and we’ll keep you up to the minute with weekly updates from the world of rugby.