French Rugby chiefs have launched an investigation that could recommend sanctions for a number of players who were involved in “inappropriate behaviour” in Edinburgh over the weekend.
Eight players who went out in Edinburgh after the defeat were omitted from the squad for the next game against Italy.
“The President of the French Rugby Federation (FFR) Bernard Laporte has decided to conduct an internal investigation to shed light on the course of the evening,” said the FFR in a statement.
The eight players axed from the squad for the match against Italy on February 23 in Marseille were Teddy Thomas, Louis Picamoles, Arthur Iturria, Anthony Belleau, Jonathan Danty, Sekou Macalou, Remi Lamerat and Felix Lambey.
The players’ night out in the Scottish capital became public when Scottish police delayed the departure of the French team’s flight home on Monday morning.
The police wanted to talk to six players because they were potential witnesses, rather than perpetrators, in a possible sexual assault but quickly concluded that no crime had been committed.
In a statement the FFR said while the police interviews confirmed no offence had taken place “these events as well as others that occurred that evening have seriously damaged the image of France and its rugby team.”
“This commission will have to make a report which will allow if necessary on established facts, to seize the competent organs of the FFR for the purposes of personalized sanctions.
“Belonging to one of our Teams of France is an honor and demands from each of its members an exemplary and dignified behavior of which the FFR is the guarantor.”
Additional reporting: Rugby365
Sign up to our mailing list here and we’ll keep you up to the minute with weekly updates from the world of rugby.