He will the procedure on his knee cartilage on Monday according a report in French publication Midi Libre.
Nadolo confirmed the news by retweeting Midi Libre’s article.
The length of time he’ll be out has yet to be finalised, but the 30-year-old is expected to be out for around four months which represents a huge blow for the French club who begin their Heineken Champions Cup campaign by hosting Edinburgh in Pool 5 on Saturday.
Montpellier have been ravaged with injuries, earlier this week Johann Goosen was ruled out for two months, with the backline also missing former All Black Aaron Cruden, scrum-half Benoit Paillaugue, centre Francois Steyn and winger Timoci Nagusa.
Continue reading below…
Watch: The Rugby Pod talk transfer rumours
The prolific wing scored 19 tries in the French top tier for Vern Cotter’s side last season and claimed a double on his return from a previous injury in a 66-15 rout of Toulouse on September 23rd, with his contact extension confirmed days later.
Speaking of his extension with the 2017/18 Top 14 runners-up Nadolo said “It’s a blessing to have been able to extend my contract with the club. I want to thank Mr. Altrad [Montpellier owner] and Vern for their trust. I have never stayed more than four seasons in the same club and when I arrived here, I did not think to stay so long,” Nadolo said.
“But I’m happy in Montpellier: it’s such a beautiful city. I feel that something special is happening here at the club, and I want to be part of it. I really think we have what it takes to win the championship. The club has never done it and I intend to contribute.”
Montpellier are fourth in the Top 14 standings and will want their winger back sooner rather than later in order to boost their challenge.
Sign up to our mailing list for a weekly digest from the wide world of rugby.Sign Up Now