Lawyers for dumped Wallabies star Israel Folau have lodged an unfair dismissal claim against Rugby Australia.
Applications were filed with the Fair Work Commission on Thursday against both the NSW Rugby Union and the national governing body following Folau’s sacking last month after his controversial social media posts on his religious beliefs.
Having been warned last year by RA boss Raelene Castle, the 30-year-old dual international posted a bible passage on Instagram proclaiming hell awaits “drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters” unless they repent their sins.
“No Australian of any faith should be fired for practising their religion,” Folau said in a statement.
After an epic code-of-conduct hearing stretching 22 hours over three days and featuring some of the sharpest legal minds in Australia, RA and the Waratahs terminated Folau’s multi-million-dollar contract on May 17 citing a “high-level” breach of his contract.
Folau had 72 hours to appeal the judicial panel’s decision at a second code of contract hearing, but opted against doing so, saying he had lost faith in RA’s ability to treat him fairly or lawfully.
Folau will now argue that under the Fair Work Act his employment was unlawfully terminated because of his religion.
“I will forever be grateful and proud to have played the sport I love for our nation,” he said.
“Ours is an amazing country built on important principles, including freedom of religion.
“A nation made up of so many different faiths and cultural backgrounds will never be truly rich unless this freedom applies to all of us.”
Documents lodged with the commission claim the sacking meant Folau was prevented from playing at the peak of his career and on the cusp of a Rugby World Cup, which would have generated greater exposure and opportunities.
“The messages of support we have received over these difficult few weeks have made me realise there are many Australians who feel their fundamental rights are being steadily eroded,” Folau said.
At the time of the sacking, Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle said it was a sad day for the sport to terminate the Wallabies’ three-time player of the year and Super Rugby’s all-time leading try-scorer.
Sign up to our mailing list here and we’ll keep you up to the minute with weekly updates from the world of rugby.