Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
Global Global
NZ NZ

Galthie has finally spoken about Mohamed Haouas' recent conviction

By Liam Heagney
(Photo by Franck Fife/AFP via Getty Images)

France boss Fabien Galthie has ruled Mohamed Haouas out of selection for the upcoming Rugby World Cup following his court conviction last week in Montpellier. The 29-year-old was handed a one-year jail sentence for hitting his wife in public.

ADVERTISEMENT

He told a court that he had lost control when he saw his wife smoking at the shopping centre where she worked, after telling him she had given up.

The court did not follow the recommendations of the prosecution, who had called for the prop to face 18 months in prison, beginning immediately. Instead, Haouas is currently free while he launches an appeal, or he could wear an electronic tag.

Video Spacer

How referees and coaches are collaborating for the World Cup | The Breakdown

Video Spacer

How referees and coaches are collaborating for the World Cup | The Breakdown

In the meantime, the fallout for his rugby career has been savage. The front-rower was due to join Clermont on a three-year deal this summer, but they have now ripped up that contract leaving him clubless.

A French rugby federation statement explained that Les Bleus head coach Galthie would address the Haouas case on June 7 at a two-day preliminary training camp which marked the start of pre-season preparations for Rugby World Cup 2023.

Related

As promised, Galthie took questions at his media briefing and Haouas, who has won all 16 of his Test caps under the coach, is now officially out of the running for World Cup selection. Asked for his view about the forward being convicted of an act of domestic violence, Galthie said: “Last week, I called him.

“I listened to him and told him that he would not be selected. He replied that he understood and apologised to the players and the staff.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Asked if this selection unavailability extended beyond the upcoming finals, Galthie replied: “The competition we are interested in is the World Cup.

“I didn’t survey my players (about the decision) but we exchanged a lot, yes,” he added. “What they said, I will keep to myself. But what is happening to Momo Haouas is not good news for him or for us.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Join free

LIVE

{{item.title}}

Trending on RugbyPass

Comments

1 Comment
C
Colin 374 days ago

Should be banned sine die, guy's a nutter.

Join free and tell us what you really think!

Sign up for free
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Features

Comments on RugbyPass

TRENDING
TRENDING Ulster confirm 2 star signing among 43-man squad for 2024/25 Ulster confirm 2 star signing among 43-man squad for 2024/25
Search