Northern | US

URC giants set to lure Cheslin Kolbe back to South African shores

Cheslin Kolbe
Comments
1 Comment

Cheslin Kolbe is reportedly on the verge of a sensational return to the DHL Stormers in a move that would bring one of South African rugby’s most decorated players back to Cape Town.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to Afrikaans publication Rapport, the double Rugby World Cup winner is expected to be back on the Stormers’ books from July 1 after a deal was struck to buy him out of his contract with Japan League One side Tokyo Suntory Sungoliath.

Kolbe, 32, only recently extended his deal with the Sungoliath through the end of the 2026-27 season, making the reported move a complicated and expensive piece of business for the Stormers.

VIDEO

The deal is understood to have been made possible through the combined efforts of the Stormers, Roc Nation Sports and a third-party backer identified as an international sports betting company believed to be SportyBet. The Cape Town franchise is also reportedly relying on assistance from SA Rugby through its Players of National Interest funding structure.

“It’s definitely very, very close,” a reliable source told Rapport.

Related

The move would represent a major statement from the Stormers as part of their long-term Project 2029 strategy. Director of rugby John Dobson has said in recent months that he views Kolbe as part of the franchise’s future, with the Stormers working to retain and attract high-level South African talent.

Several key players, including Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, Paul de Villiers, Wandisile Simelane, Andre-Hugo Venter and Jurie Matthee, have signed new contracts with the franchise in recent months.

Kolbe’s arrival would significantly strengthen the Stormers’ backline stocks, particularly out wide. Leolin Zas and Suleiman Hartzenberg have been the side’s preferred wings during the 2025-26 campaign, while Seabelo Senatla, Damian Willemse and Simelane have also featured there.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Stormers had been in the market for Dylan Maart after his productive loan spell earlier this season, but the Griquas wing opted to join the Bulls on a two-year deal from next season.

His return would become the third high-profile South African international to link up with the Stormers ahead of the 2026-27 season, following Springboks’ captain Siya Kolisi from the Hollywoodbets Sharks and tighthead prop Wilco Louw from the Vodacom Bulls.

Continuing to produce elite performances in Japan, Kolbe contributed 20 points for Suntory Sungoliath in their 40-35 Japan Rugby League One quarterfinal win over BlackRams Tokyo.

Kolbe began his professional career with Western Province in 2012 before making his Stormers debut the following year. He left in 2017 for Toulouse, where he became one of European rugby’s most dangerous attacking players, before moving to Toulon in 2021.

ADVERTISEMENT

He joined Suntory Sungoliath after helping South Africa defend the Rugby World Cup in France in 2023.

RugbyPass App Download

News, stats, live rugby and more! Download the new RugbyPass app on the App Store (iOS) and Google Play (Android) now!


Whether you’re looking for somewhere to track upcoming fixtures, a place to watch live rugby or an app that shows you all of the latest news and analysis, the RugbyPass rugby app is perfect.

ADVERTISEMENT
Play Video
LIVE

{{item.title}}

Trending on RugbyPass

Comments

1 Comment
A
Ayre123 None 1 hr ago

It isn’t clear how his contract at the Stormers was drawn?

At Toulon where he moved from Toulouse Kolbe was on a “Pay Per Play” contract just like EE status there, he didn’t play much but stuck around to complete his French residency papers.

Join free and tell us what you really think!

Sign up for free
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Long Reads

Comments on RugbyPass

Close Panel
Close Panel

Edition & Time Zone

{{current.name}}
Set time zone automatically
{{selectedTimezoneTitle}} (auto)
Choose a different time zone
Close Panel

Editions

Close Panel

Change Time Zone

Close
ADVERTISEMENT
Copied to clipboard

Share Article close